I’ll be honest with you. When I first started this blog back in August 2007, I did it because I truly wanted to share my tailgating ideas and tailgating experiences with those that might not embrace the tailgating lifestyle as much as I do. I never knew it would put me in a position that businesses and companies would seek me out and ask me to write about their game or tailgating product. Don’t get me wrong, getting free samples is a perk of starting this website but that was never the original intent. But I do have a suggestion for those people who want me to review and write about a product. Full disclosure is appreciated.
It never fails. Someone will email me “pretending” to have discovered this cool new piece of tailgating gear that I just have to check out. The problem is that these people will describe the product as if they cut and pasted a press release directly from the company’s annual report. They know too much about the product and basically sell me on how great it is in their email. The double whammy is that they will use their company email that is a dead giveaway they have a vested interest in the promotion and success of the product in which they are suggesting. I am not a dumb guy folks. The Internet is a wonderful thing and with a few Google searches and a three minute time investment it is easy for me to figure out if you are truly a tailgater or a guy pretending to be one that is really a company marketing guy.
My suggestion, be up front with me and tell me you work for the company from the get go. Also, do a quick search and see if I have already written about your product. Offer to send me a sample to test out and review and see if it is worthwhile. If I think tailgaters can use it and it would make a great addition to their tailgating kits, I’ll suggest it. If it sucks, is crap and is a waste of money, be prepared for that to be disclosed as well. Take heed of our motto, Don’t Just Tailgate, Tailgate Better. I try to adhere to that all the time and esspecially when I make product suggestions.
Alright, I’ll put away my soap box and give you a bunch of links.
- From Busted Coverage: The 25 Greatest Modern Day NFL Cheerleader Halloween Costumes
- Baby Boomers are tired of tailgating
- Don Chavez says, Get Your Poon Hunt On
- Trampy Cheerleaders from around the globe
- Upset you got beat at your own Big House? Kill the hot water to the visitors locker room. That’ll show ’em who’s boss.
- WHAT?!? UCLA Undie Run canceled? You’ve got to be kidding me?
- UC Irvine Reuses, Recycles and Respects the Red Cup
- I’m sick of Colt McCoy hype already. But ESPN Gameday apparently has a man crush on the guy.
- Penn University Hangover Remedies
- That’s So Fetch had The 10 Types of Girls Guys Should Avoid. Don’t worry ladies, here’s your list.
- Co-Ed Magazine has your Party Girls of the Top 5 College Football Rivalries
- At San Jose State Tailgating leaves field dirty and hazardous
- Got your Halloween costume yet? These athletes already have theirs.
- Tailgating with caution: How to enjoy the festivities and avoid being arrested at Eastern Kentucky
- Mizzou tackles tailgating: Pre-game parties too rowdy at Reactor Field
- Irish Blogger Gathering: Tailgating Edition
- Remember the really hot Brazilian twin synchronized swimmers? Busted Coverage has an update on what they are doing now.
- CTGOBucks has another edition of Great Moments In Tailgating History Vol : 5
- US News and World Report gets in on the act and says Boston to Better Enforce Tailgate Rules at Harvard-Yale Game
- ‘Tailgaters Urging Responsibility and Fun’ — brings together beverage alcohol industry leaders with educators and sporting stars to promote safe and responsible tailgating.
- Man builds world’s sweetest tailgate party trailer
- First Birthday Tailgate
- Busted Coverage is back with a breakdown (with pics) of the new NBA Dance Squads
- Sober tailgating promoted and then laughed at
- Not Your Ordinary Tailgating Recipes
- Scrumptious Tailgating — On A Shoestring!
- Tailgating shifts into high-tech gear
- Claire’s preschool had a tailgate party yesterday in lieu of celebrating Halloween
- A photo gallery of Kansas State Tailgating
- Weekend Wrap #45: Wild Card Weekend Edition
- Weekend Wrap #25: Eight Gold Medals Edition
- Weekend Wrap #24: First Tailgate of the NFL Season Edition
- Weekend Wrap #51: Post-Valentine's Day Edition
- Weekend Wrap #43: Crappy Bowls Edition
- Weekend Wrap #49: One For The Thumb Edition
- Weekend Wrap #28: 2 Minute Drill Edition
- Weekend Wrap #54: Spring Forward Edition
- Weekend Wrap #72: Weight Loss Competition Edition
- Weekend Wrap #42: Heisman Edition