(Photo by Michelle Oddis of That’s So Michelle)
One of the most popular posts we have done that continues to bring in tons of visitors is “How To Spike a Watermelon“. Another popular recipe we did was how to make Orange Wedge Jell-O Shots. Since you tailgaters out there seem to like new and different ways to bring some booze to the lots, we found another creative way to booze it up. This time it is strawberry margarita jell-o shots and instead of a Dixie Cup they are served in fresh strawberries. Here is what you will need:
- 24 Strawberries (the bigger the better)
- 1 box of Strawberry Jell-o
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup chilled tequila
- 1/4 cup sugar or salt
- 2 or 3 Limes
Before you make the jell-o you’ll need to prep the strawberries so they are ready to be filled. Start by snipping off the bottom ends of the strawberries so they will have a flat base to stand up. Make sure to not cut off too much of the bottom end or you will have a hole and your jell-o will run out the bottom. Try slicing off very thin pieces and to make sure the strawberry can stand on it own without tipping over while still not cutting through and making a hole. Once the strawberries can stand on their own, use a pairing knife or a melon baller and carve out the middle flesh of the strawberry to make a nice cavity. This is where you will be pouring your Jell-o so make it a nice sized hole.
Now that your strawberries are prepped, you can start making the Jell-o mixture. Boil the cup of water and then whisk in the Jell-o mix. Once the Jell-o is all dissolved, pour in your tequila. Continue to stir it all together until you are satisfied it is properly mixed. The chilled tequila should cool down the mixture to the point you can pour the Jell-o into your strawberries. You can garnish with a thin lime wedge and let set overnight in the refrigerator. When ready to serve, just roll the top edges of the strawberries in sugar or salt depending on your preference and serve.
This tailgating recipe is pretty simple but just puts a new twist on the receptacle in which you serve them. The prep work involved is a lot more extensive that just putting your jell-o shots in paper cups but will definitely provoke a response from your tailgating party guests.
If you found this information useful, why not share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter or just email it to someone? Click the buttons below for easy sharing options and share the love of getting tipsy on fruit.
- Drunk Uncle Richie Recipe No. 16: Red Zone Reuben Dip
- Book Review: Pro Football Cookbook
- Drunk Uncle Richie Recipe No. 26: Sweet Play Peaches
- Drunk Uncle Richie Recipe No. 11: Chain Gang Cheese Balls
- Drunk Uncle Richie Recipe No. 20: Chop Block Queso Dip
- Tailgating Recipe: Beer Basted Pork Loin
- Drunk Uncle Richie Recipe No. 28: Red Hot & Runnin' BBQ Sauce
- Drunk Uncle Richie Recipe No. 14: An Ultimate Fumble
- Drunk Uncle Richie Recipe No. 13: Spicy Tailgater's Pockets
- Drunk Uncle Richie Recipe No. 17: Buffalo Chicken Soup