If you are a follower of Tailgating Ideas on Twitter you probably already knew I did a little tailgating on Friday before the NCAA regional baseball games. The campus I chose to go see the game is a “state school” and has a policy handed down by the State Chancellor’s office that no alcohol is permitted in campus parking lots. All of the schools in this same University system also are under this policy jurisdiction. Because the baseball stadium is on campus and we were parking in a campus parking lot, the alcohol ban was to be observed. We chose to bring some red plastic cups and pour our beers in those. After all, we figured as long as we were not waving them around, spilling beer, acting obnoxious and calling attention to ourselves, what probable cause would the cops have to inspect the contents? Well, we were wrong in that assumption. Apparently red plastic cups are no longer the stealth way to enjoy a beer or two while tailgating.
An unmarked police car rolled up and the cop informed us that alcohol is not permitted on campus property and we need to pour out our beers. We complied. Unfortunately we had two students tailgating with us. One was recently graduated and age 23. The other was still enrolled in school and is 19-years old. The police apparently needed to make an example or show their superiors they are doing something about the rampant alcohol consumption in the parking lots and issued the poor kid a minor in possession citation. The cup he was nailed for was not even in his hand and was sitting on the roof of an adjacent car. But because he was standing the closest to the cup, ownership was placed on him and the cops broke out their ticket book.
I understand that rules are rules and laws are laws but has our society come to the point where we can look forward to this all the time? I guess that is the price we responsible tailgaters are paying for the the jackassedness of others that have come before us. The lesson learned here is red cups are no longer a stealth way to enjoy a beer responsibly. It seems as if red cups do more to stand out and alert those with badges and agendas than does a regular aluminum can. Time to find another stealth way to have a beer responsibly. Suggestions?
Now on with this week’s links.
- Tailgating Shopping List – Gear up Now with these 11 “Must Haves”
- Who is the hotter Jessica? Simpson, Alba or Biel
- Father’s Day $100 Home Depot Gift Card Giveaway from TailgatingIdeas.com
- Now Playing: 10 movies for the NBA Finals
- Foreman Field parking plan tackles residents’ concerns
- The Gentleman’s Guide to Being a Classy Drunk
- Tailgaters Beware, Prices Of Beer Going Up?
- Motorized Hot Dog Griller
- A Look Into A Custom Sprinter Built For University of Texas Tailgating
- San Diego State Held Its 2009 Undie Run
- Fan Brands Logo Branding Irons fire up retailers
- Jessica Simpson Gave Tony Romo a $100,000 Speedboat
- Product Reviews: Summer Tailgating Essentials
- Co-Ed Magazine has a way to know How To Tell If She Has Fake Boobs
- Miller Park vs Busch Stadium – Milwaukee vs St. Louis
- A How-To Video From Gillette on shaving the boys downbelow
- Jessica Szohr – otherwise known as Vanessa on Gossip Girl – eating cake and looking hot
- The Party Pump: A Pump for All Occassions
- Libby Vegetables Tailgating Giveaway
- Bear Pong - Super Sized Beer Pong
- Top 10 Posts of 2011
- Video: Beer Pong Kings by Right Side of the Tree
- Tailgating Product Review: The MyTopOff Bottle Opener
- Thermos Stainless Steel Can Insulator: The Best Beer Koozie I Have Tested
- Shotgun Champ
- Port-o-Pong Pro Now Available Through TailgatingIdeas.com
- The Top 10 Male-centric Tailgating Items
- Weekend Wrap #75: The Masses Have Spoken Edition
- Beer Review: Redhook ESB