Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Many Americans will deep fry a turkey this holiday and some will experience disastrous results. By disastrous results we don’t mean it will turn out dry or overcooked and your judgmental aunt will complain about it for the rest of the day. By disastrous we mean some will fail to read the directions and will start a huge grease fire that will burn down their house. Take a look at this video to see the right and wrong way of frying a turkey.
The major keys to take away from this video are:
- Always thaw your turkey completely
- Always make sure your turkey is dry before submerging it into the oil
- Always slowly lower your turkey into the fryer to prevent the oil from spilling over
- Make sure to have the proper level of oil in the pot. (You can do this by placing your turkey in the pot still in the bag and filling it with water. Remove the turkey and make note of where the water level is and duplicate that level when placing your oil in the pot.)
- Always have a fire extinguisher nearby
- If a fire does occur, never put water on a grease fire
Happy Thanksgiving all and enjoy the day.