The family was great in allowing Dad and I to have our Thanksgiving day dinner in the parking lot with our buddies. This year it will be home with the family for the holiday, but that won’t stop us from having a post-Thanksgiving day feast the following Sunday (November 29).
Below are some recipes we tried last year (each member of our tailgating group brought a dish), ones we will be experimenting with this year, and some random others I came across on the Internet. As you can see the common theme is cooking with some booze!
– Beer-Can Chicken: It’s an oldie, but still a goodie. We actually went with this recipe in place of turkey last year since it was easier to be prepare and transport to the parking lot.
– Bake Beans with Bourbon: I am sure there is a more elaborate recipe for this side dish, but we went with a simple can of Bush Baked Beans mixed with 1/2 cup of Bourbon.
– Rum-Glazed Carrots: To make this one easier go with the pre-cut or baby carrots. If you don’t like raisins, well just skip them!
– Margarita Wings: Something a little different to do with your wings. Makes you think of summer even if you are all bundled up on a cold November afternoon. My friend’s wife will be bringing this to this year’s tailgate.
– Tipsy Sweet Potatoes: This is a family favorite that we have been serving at the Thanksgiving Day table for years. The name of the recipe is dead-on!
– Irish Cream Mousse Pie: When this fan thinks dessert and alcohol it has to be Bailey’s Irish Cream. And what Thanksgiving feast would be complete without a pie!
Hopefully one of these recipes makes its way to your tailgating or dinner table. But too many of these items could result in you missing the “Black Friday” early morning sales! Happy Thanksgiving…2+ weeks early!