This recipe appears courtesy of the Hass Avocado Board and Jay DiEugenio, a.k.a “The Tailgate Guy” and author of the “I Got Your Tailgate Party Right Here!” cookbook series.
Stuffed Hamburgers with Hass Avocado and Jarlsberg Cheese
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
* 1/4 cup mayonnaise
* 1/4 cup coarse ground mustard
* 1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
* 2 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
* 1 1/2 tsp. prepared steak seasoning
* 1 ripe, fresh Hass avocado, halved, seeded, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch cubes
* 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
* 1 head garlic, roasted
* 4 slices Jarlsberg cheese
* 4 ciabatta rolls, sliced and toasted on the grill
* 24 baby arugula leaves, rinsed thoroughly and dried
* 2 heirloom tomatoes, sliced in 1/4-inch thick rounds
1. Combine mayonnaise and mustard, set aside.
2. In a bowl, combine meat, Worcestershire sauce and steak seasoning. Mix well. Divide meat mixture into equal portions per serving and form each portion into two thin patties, set aside.
3. Gently combine avocado and lemon juice, making sure all avocado is dressed.
4. Top half of the patties with the avocado mixture and squeeze the contents of two roasted garlic cloves on top of the avocado mixture on each patty. Then top each with another patty pinching to seal, forming a smooth edge.
5. Grill over medium-hot coals for 5-6 minutes per side or until no longer pink inside. Just before removing from the grill, place a slice of cheese on each patty and allow to melt. Place ciabatta rolls cut side down on the grill to toast. Remove burgers and rolls from the grill.
6. To prepare sandwich: Spread mayonnaise mustard mixture on both sides of each roll. On the bottom slice of each roll place arugula, tomato slices and grilled meat. Finish with roll top.
Tip: To make roasted garlic: Slice 1/4-inch off top of garlic head (opposite of root end). Place in oven-proof pan, root side down, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast in a 350ºF oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool. Separate cooked cloves and use as desired. Delicious as a spread on toasted bread.
Per serving: 875 calories; 56 grams fat (20 sat, 18.6 mono, 8.7 poly); 180 mg cholesterol; 1,435 mg sodium; 36 grams carbohydrate; 3 grams fiber; 58.3 grams protein
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
- Tailgating Recipe: Brandon's Burgers - The Italian Stallion
- We-Haul Aggie Wagon Looking For Partners
- The Ultimate Tailgate Tour - Part 1
- Jerry King Tailgating Cartoon #31
- TailgatingIdeas.com Featured on The Tom Leykis Show
- The Top 10 College Tailgates for 2010
- Jerry King Tailgating Cartoon #94
- Welcome Our Newest Contributor: Mary Clark
- Featured Gear Friday: Drill Blender
- Video: Parrottheads Dancing to Michael Jackson