After the show ended I went immediately to the Internet to find out more about the grilled powered doughnuts. I wasn’t able to find any recipes specific for the the grilled powered doughnut. I wasn’t too surprised since the”recipe” on the show only had the guy sticking mini powered doughnuts on the grill, nothing additional was added. Do I need a recipe for this, probably not.
My searching continued until I stumbled across a recipe from good, old Ms. Betty Crocker. The recipe was titled “Grilled Doughnut Dessert.” My search was complete. The recipe involved doughnuts and grilling. Sold!
As I read the recipe I thought, this is a step up from the played out Smore. Yes, Smores are kick-ass, especially if you attending a kids birthday partying or spending the evening camping out. But again, the dessert is a bit played out to this guy. I now give you the same concept but with doughnuts…good-bye graham cracker!
Betty’s recipe is below, but being the adventurous type I added a couple of my own touches.
– 3 plan cake doughnuts [I went with my original desire the powered doughnut]
– 3 large marshmallows [No need to change this ingredient]
– 6 milk chocolate kisses [I went back to the standard, but with a twist. Mini dark (not milk chocolate) chocolate Hershey bars]
– I then added the ingredient of crushed peanut and pretzel M&Ms
- Cut doughnuts and marshmallows horizontally in half.
- Place doughnuts, cut sides down, on cooking surface of grill 5 to 6 inches from medium coals.
- Place marshmallow halves, cut sides down, over holes in doughnuts.
- Cover and grill 2 to 3 minutes or until cut sides of doughnuts are golden brown and marshmallows are soft.
- Remove from the grill.
- Immediately add the chocolate.
- Sprinkle with the crushed M&Ms.
The end result, well let’s just say I am going to give serious consideration to beginning my next BBQ with an appetizer of this treat, followed by the meats, followed by more of this for dessert! Thank you TV for this wonderful idea. Who says sitting in front of the TV makes you dumber!