Since my home team too is at home on the couch, my favorite two things about Super Sunday finally arriving are:
- The never-ending, often pointless, pre-game analysis FINALLY coming to an end .
- When the sun rises on February 8, all NFL teams are back to an undefeated record!
And since the favorite team isn’t playing this Sunday the highlight for this fan will be the party food. My rules with football food…the fatter the better, the more fried the better, and the more unique the better.
A snack of Deep Fried Bacon perfectly fits all three of the above criteria!
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- 1 lb. of bacon, thick sliced, cut in half
- 3 eggs
- Flour – 3 cups
- Vegetable Oil – 2 1/2 cups for frying the bacon
- Dash of some salt and pepper
- Whisk together the eggs and milk in a bowl until smooth.
- Soak the bacon in the milk mixture for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven (350 degrees F).
- Heat the oil in a deep skillet (375 degrees F).
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, salt, and pepper.
- Remove the bacon from the egg mixture, and toss with the flour to coat.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Fry the bacon strips (no more than 5 slices at a time) until golden brown.
- Drain the bacon on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Once all of the bacon has cooked place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in theoven until crispy, usually about 6-8 minutes.
And of course, all fried foods need to have some gravy for dipping. May I suggest the below recipe for a simple White Gravy:
- 5 tbsp. butter
- 5 tbsp. flour
- Salt and Pepper for taste
- 2 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. of Tabasco sauce
- In a saucepan, melt the butter over low heat.
- Blend in flour, salt, pepper, and Tabasco sauce.
- Cook until smooth and bubbly.
- Stir in milk.
- Heat until boiling on medium heat, stirring constantly. Stir and boil 1 minute.
Enjoy and best of luck on your Super Bowl Box Pools. If you win, just think how much bacon you could buy!!
If you aren’t a food guy or gal this Sunday, maybe you are a Hall of Fame RB type of person. If the game happens to be a blow-out, maybe Sanders can teach you some moves to escape the party!