If you’ve been watching Johnsonville’s social media pages and/or their Big Taste Grill blog, which is written by the team traveling with the grill, you have probably seen their take on a jalapeno popper. Since they hooked me up with some of their smoked brats to play around with I decided to give this recipe a go.
What makes these different from other poppers I’ve tried is that instead of a creamy cheesy filling they have diced up smoked brats in them. What you end up with is a really meaty popper that could almost serve as a meal in itself. Katie, my official taste tester/wife, had some and seemed to like them pretty well so I think I can safely recommend them to you all.
(Taken from Johnsonville.com)
What you need
- 18 Jalapeno peppers
- 1 package (14 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Smoked Brats
- 1 package (16 ounces) bacon, cut into thirds
- Using a sharp knife, slice 1/4 inch off the stem end of the peppers, discard the stem.
- Using a small knife or vegetable peeler, remove seeds and spines of the peppers, discard.
- Dice the sausages into small pieces and stuff the peppers with the sausage.
- Cover the sausage with a 1/3 strip of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Grill the brat bullets over medium heat until evenly roasted and the bacon is crisp.
I also wanted to take the opportunity to let you all know about a contest that Johnsonville is running. They’re calling on all grillmasters to produce their version of a music video entitled “Don’t Pierce the Brat.” I’ve embedded their version below so you can hear the song. The winner will get $5,000 and a year supply of Johnsonville Brats. For more info you can go here to get the tools you’ll need and to see the official rules. Looks like the deadline for submission is August, 30. We would love to see your videos if you do make one.
- Check Out Johnsonville "5-Second Rule" Video
- Johnsonville NOLA Bloody
- Outdoor "Pre" Cooking with Johnsonville
- Tailgating with Johnsonville
- Johnsonville - Make the Best of the Wurst Tailgate
- Johnsonville Meatballs and Sausage Slices
- The Oostburger
- Johnsonville Old Country Bloody
- Johnsonville No Ordinary Burger Contest