Image by germanium via FlickrA lot of us love hot and spicy food while tailgating. I recently discovered Fire Brand Original Habanero Hot Sauce and love the stuff. Then again the guys that make it aren’t trying to kill you either.
Now comes a story that a man apparently died after eating a lethal dose of chili sauce. Was the sauce spiked with arsenic? No. Had it been sitting out for weeks and acquired salmonella? Nope. The guy, aspiring chef by the name of Andruw Lee, was challenged to a chili sauce competition and was found unconscious after suffering a heart-attack in his sleep. He was only 33-years old and had no history of heart problems.
He powered through an entire plate of the hot sauce and later when he was going to bed, complained of itching. His girlfriend scratched his back until he fell asleep and in the morning she found him unconscious. The paramedics were called but efforts to revive him were unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at the scene. The toxicology report will not be available for a few weeks so the actual cause of death from the hot sauce is only speculation at this point.
Just be careful when saucing those hot wings. Everything in moderation and now that applies to hot sauce.
Read the full story HERE.