I live in the NJ / NY area, but I am not a Jets fan. So the highlight of my remaining NFL weekends is the food that I am eating. And these highlights aren’t too damn shabby if you ask me.
Since the favorite team isn’t playing, watching the games is a solo event. Because of this I do the lazy thing and order in. Either some subs, pizza, or ribs and wings from the local BBQ joint. Tasty food and little or not effort on my part. Sometimes I can even get the wife to pick the food up for me. All these good eats take care of the main entree.
But with every game viewing, regardless if it’s a solo event, there should be no skimping on the dips. Why are dips so important? Because it is the chips and dips that get you through the entire game. Even the slowest of eaters can only make the main entree last for half a quarter. It’s beer, chips, and dips that gets you from kick-off to the final zeros.
And when I say dips I am not talking about those canned or bottled nacho cheese or guacamole dips. I am talking about some high quality homemade stuff. Below are 2 of my favorite recipes. One from mom (thanks mom!) and one from the wife (thanks wife!).
Party Pepperoni Pizza Dip (using a 10 inch pie plate)
- 1 – 8 oz. pkg. low fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1/8 tsp.. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped pepperoni
- 1/2 cup pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded low fat Mozzarella cheese
- Heat cream cheese, sour cream, oregano, garlic powder and red pepper.
- Spread mixture evenly in a 9″ quiche dish or pie plate.
- Spread pizza sauce over top of mixture
- Sprinkle with pepperoni and onion
- Bake in preheated 350 oven for 10 minutes
- Top with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts
Layered Humus Dip (Using a 12 inch pie plate)
- Spread 8 oz. of cream cheese
- Spread 16 oz. of hummus
- Add 2 diced medium cucumbers as the next layer
- Add 2 diced plum tomatoes as the next layer
- Sprinkle 1/2 lb. of feta cheese as the next layer
- Slice approximately 25 kalamata olives and sprinkle as the next layer
- Add 2 finely chopped scallions as the final layer.
- Serve cold immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve. This step makes this dip good for home or the tailgating lot!
Pita chips are your best option with either of the 2 dips. Enjoy!!