You’ve probably seen the TV commercials for the Margaritaville G1000 Ride-Behind Tailgating Propane Grill. You’ve probably seen the displays for them in your local Costco Warehouse stores or possibly seen them advertised online. You probably thought to yourself, “Man that is one sweet tailgating grill… I just wish it didn’t have all that lime green all over it.” If the color scheme of the Margaritaville G1000 Ride-Behind Tailgating Propane Grill is the only thing holding you back from getting one, you are in luck. These grills are easily modified to display your teams colors.
I recently got a Margaritaville G1000 Ride-Behind Tailgating Propane Grill and customized it to San Diego Chargers colors. A few cans of spray paint, some painter’s masking tape and an offset screwdriver from my local home improvement store cost me just about $25. I was well on my way to having a custom tailgating grill in the time it would take me to watch a college football game on Saturday. Take a look at the “How To” video I put together and see how easy it is to convert the Margaritaville G1000 Ride-Behind Tailgating Propane Grill to your own team colors.
Here are the step by step written directions on how to customize your Margaritaville G1000 Ride-Behind Tailgating Propane Grill:
1) Peel off the palm tree decals from the swing arm. (Goo Gone, Goof Off or any other adhesive remover works well for any residue.)
2) Tape around the end caps on the swing arm. Paint the end caps the color of your choice.
3) Open the grill hood and you will see four Philips head screws holding the grill lid handle. Back out all four screws and set aside.
4) Remove the lid handle, turn it over and unscrew the two Philips screws holding the heat shield to the lid handle.
5) Lock the grill lid shut and turn the grill upside down. (Use the top styrofoam packaging as a way to hold the grill without scratching or damaging the grill’s hood.)
6) Unscrew the six screws (three on each side) to release the side panels. (Hint: Using an offset screwdriver will allow you to unscrew those screws located near the propane gas manifold.)
7) Paint all pieces the desired color scheme of your team’s colors. (Let dry for about 24 hours to ensure all pieces are dry.)
8 ) Tape swing arm caps and transport lock to avoid paint spray.
9) Paint swing arm desired team color. Let dry 24 hours.
10) Paint licence plate holder brackets desired team colors. Let dry 24 hours.
11) Reattach all pieces to grill in the reverse order they were removed.
12) Attach licence plate holder brackets to swing arm.
13) Attach swing arm to 2″ tow hitch receiver. Place grill on swing arm, tighten and lock securely.
14) Go tailgating!
So there it is. A step-by-step video and written instructions on how to customize your Margaritaville G1000 Tailgating Grill to your team’s colors. Be sure to print these instructions off when you head out to the garage to customize. In the tailgating lot, when you are asked where you got that sweet tailgating grill, make sure to let them know about us here at TailgatingIdeas.com. Happy tailgating.