The tailgate party has evolved. No longer does tailgating include a few wieners on the grill and tossing the football around killing time waiting for the game to start. Tailgating is a full-blown event that includes gourmet food, exotic drinks and electronic gadgets that would make James Bond sit up and notice.
Since starting this tailgating blog back in 2007, we have seen the explosive growth of the use of TVs in the tailgating parking lots. Gone are the days of setting up the satellite dish on a tripod and trying to find the arc and the azimuth somewhere in the southern sky. Just as the technology of tailgating with satellite TV has evolved, so has the way you view your TV in the parking lot. We recently discovered the Tailgate TV Stand and put it to the test to find out if it truly is “Tailgate Approved”.
As you saw in the video, the Tailgate TV Stand is a hitch mounted TV stand that holds your flat screen TV and can rotate 360 degrees. We recently had the opportunity to test out the Tailgate TV Stand and found it to be highly functional and quite at home in the tailgating environment.
Prior to learning about the Tailgate TV Stand, we were only aware of two other hitch mounted TV stands; the Hitch-N-View and the Tow Hitch TV, both of which we reviewed previously on this blog. For the sake of review comparisons, we will compare the Tailgate TV Stand to the Hitch-N-View because we believe the Tow Hitch TV is no longer in business and producing units. Before we start comparing the two, let’s dive into the features of the Tailgate TV Stand.
The Tailgate TV Stand is essentially three pieces that assemble quickly in order to mount your TV for viewing off the back of your vehicle so long as it has a 2″ tow hitch receiver. The assembly really is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
Once the pieces have been assembled, you place the your TV on the bracket and hook up your cords and electronics. It really is that simple. Most people think “some assembly required” and groan in pain, especially if you have to assemble the unit every time you use it. But honestly, it took me literally 30 seconds to assemble the entire Tailgate TV Stand to the point I was ready to hang my TV from it. Check out their assembly video.
We had the opportunity to review and test out the Original TTS Standard. This model has a smaller lower post that would be ideal for SUV and van tailgating vehicles. Those with pick-up trucks that want their tailgate down while viewing TV, the Original TTS TD (Tailgate Down) is a better choice.
One of the major benefits of the Tailgate TV Stand is that fact that you can swing the arm 360 degrees. If the sun is creating too much glare with the TV facing directly backwards, just rotate the Tailgate TV Stand the opposite way and your tailgate party guests will love you forever. You can even swing the TV inside of the SUV, set up the kids to watch their shows while chilling inside the car and you can now tailgate with the adults knowing the kids are taken care of and out of the way. And as easily as it was assembled, the Tailgate TV Stand comes apart and packs away just as quickly.
In comparing the Tailgate TV Stand (TTS) to the Hitch-N-View (HNV), there are a number of features and benefits the TTS has over the HNV.
- Accessory Shelf - Comes standard with the HNV. Available as an upgrade for $29.99 from Tailgate TV Stand. Advantage: Hitch-N-View
- Cords and Cables - Cords and cables hang off the accessory shelf on the Hitch-N-View. Velcro Straps included with the TTS to tie up cables and cords for a cleaner look. Advantage: Tailgate TV Stand
- TV Size - Due to the size limitation of the mounting bracket and the width of screw hole patterns on the back’s of TVs, the HNV can hold up to 40″ TVs. The Tailgate TV Stand is designed for 360 degree rotation with a 32″ TV. The ability to rotate your TV with the swinging arm will be limited if your TV is larger than 32″, but the stand will hold bigger TV’s. The Standard model will hold up to 40 pounds. The Heavy Duty (HD) model and Tailgate Down (TD model) are made with heavier gauge tubing and will hold up to 70 pounds. Advantage: Tailgate TV Stand
- Price - The Hitch-N-View is priced at $95 plus shipping. The Original TTS Standard is the lowest priced and costs $170 plus shipping. Advantage: Hitch-N-View
- Viewing Angle - The Hitch-N-View does not elevate the TV much above the tow hitch receiver area. The Tailgate TV Stand elevates the TV quite a bit and while sitting in standard tailgating chairs, the viewing angle is similar to how you would watch TV if the screen was wall mounted. Advantage: Tailgate TV Stand
- Mounting Bracket - The Tailgate TV Stand does not come standard with a mounting bracket but you can purchase a bracket from TTS with your order. The Hitch-N-View mounting plate is part of the unit and the brackets to attach to the back of your TV come standard. Advantage: Hitch-N-View
- Rotation - The TTS can pivot 360 degrees. The HNV faces directly off the back off your tow hitch. Advantage: Tailgate TV Stand
- Country of Origin - The TTS is made in the USA. The HNV is manufactured in China. Advantage: Tailgate TV Stand
Honestly, after a thorough comparison, there is no clear winner between the Hitch-N-View and the Tailgate TV Stand. It all just comes down to personal preference when making your choice. If the ability to rotate your TV away from glare is a major priority, then the Tailgate TV Stand is the best choice. If you are more price oriented, then the Hitch-N-View is less expensive. If you have a larger TV and it has a larger than 40 inch screen, then the Tailgate TV Stand is your better choice. If paying a little more for an American made product is important to you, Tailgate TV Stand is definitely your choice. It all comes down to what is most important to you when selecting a tow hitch TV mount for your tailgate party.
After thoroughly testing the Tailgate TV Stand we are going to give it the Tailgate Ideas “Tailgate Approved” stamp. We loved the ease of assembly, the versatility of being able to rotate the TV screen to any angle and how it offers a wider range of size TVs it can accommodate.
The Original TTS Standard is priced at $169.99, the Original TTS HD (Heavy Duty) goes for $179.99 and the Original TTS TD (Tailgate Down) will run you $199.99. The Accessory Shelf costs an additional $29.99 and can be included with your order.
For more information or to buy one of your own, visit: tailgatetvstand.com